Saturday, November 26, 2011

Carrots anyone?


Probably the funniest picture ever! This is the face he makes when he swallows it!

He was trying to grab the cup and the spoon out of my hand!

Drew was very satisfied with his carrot meal!
I didn't know where to start with introducing food so I asked my midwife Molly who is also a nutritionist and naturopathic doctor. She is so awesome and I really trust her opinion. She gave me a list of foods to start at different months and talked to me about developmental milestones to look for to know when Drew was ready for food. A few things she mentioned where sitting without support, being over 6 months old, not tongue thrusting, ability to grab food and feed himself, cutting teeth and interest in food. With all that considered I felt like Drew was ready for food. Carrots where one of the vegetables on the list of first things to introduce and since I love carrots and carrot juice I thought he would be familiar to the taste since he has had the flavor many times through my breast milk! Originally I was going to go with a less sweet vegetable first but Molly told me it's good to start with a sweet one first because it's an easy transition from breast milk since breast milk it so sweet. So his first food was pureed carrots thinned out with breast milk. It was only a tablespoon and he didn't finish it but he actually really seemed to love it! He was reaching and trying to grab the spoon. He was leaning forward for more and he didn't spit any of it out!

1 comment:

Unhappy Customer said...

Wahoo!! Congrats on your first foods!!